- Our Company
- Industries Served
1-5-Oh! 10 Cool Facts about Canada
THE SOURCE CODE BLOG
Happy Birthday, Canada!
The long weekend is almost here and you know what that means! Barbeques, fireworks, gatherings with friends and celebrating our amazing country - Canada!
There is so much to love about our national holiday, and with that being said, we've listed what we think are the 10 coolest facts about Canada!
1. The name Canada derives from an Iroquoian word for "village", kanata, that French explorers used to refer to the area near present day Quebec City.
2. Canada day kicks off, what Canadians call, "those two months before winter starts"
3. Canada Day was given the statutory value on 1879 and was originally designated as "Dominion Day"
4. Canadians are known to be polite..but it may be going to our heads. 86% of Canadians believe they live in the best country in the world!
5. License plates in the Northwest Territories are shaped like polar bears - cool!
6. Canada consumes the most doughnuts and has the most doughnut shops per capita of any country in the world!
7. 80% of all alcohol consumed in Canada is beer
8. 1835 marks the first year where the term "Canucks" was coined referring to a Canadian
9. More than a mile under Sudbury, Ontario is the world's deepest undergroup lab - SNOLAB
10. Canada's lowest recorded temperature is as cold as Mars - -63°C in 1947, that's as cold as the surface of Mars! Yikes! Eh?
Though we have only listed 10 facts, there are an abundance of facts and incredible reasons to love Canada and celebrate its 150th year!
Want to add to our list? Share with us - find us on Facebook or Linkedin!